Friday, December 14, 2007

LATITUDE ZERO on DVD!

Look, I work at home, and that means I have to find things to keep myself from slowly going nutters. Usually this takes the form of really awful movies with 'splosions and guys in rubber suits duking it out.

... yes, I probably need help. One of my absolute favorite bad Japanese sci-fi movies came out last week on DVD, LATITUDE ZERO (1970) and the cast alone is worth the price. Joseph Cotten (I mean, he was in CITIZEN KANE and THE THIRD MAN, for Pete's sake) as the captain of the high-tech submarine "Alpha", Cesar Romero (Yes, that Cesar Romero) as the villainous "Malik", and Richard Jaeckel (yes, I know he was in THE DIRTY DOZEN, but come on) as the avaricious reporter who can't believe all the weird shit going on around him. There's nothing quite like seeing TV's "Joker" about to saw a girl's skull open and saying things like "I'm going to take out your braaaain!!" Classic stuff.

The point to all this is that a lot of '60s and '70s film had unbelievably good poster art, and LATITUDE ZERO has a great one. Completely unrecognizable as the actual cast, Joseph Cotten's stand-in on the poster looks more like a rugged George Hamilton, spraying flaming death from his goofy glove. Just look at this!


You can order LATITUDE ZERO here:
http://www.amazon.com/Latitude-Zero-Dub-Joseph-Cotten/dp/B000W7Y6FG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1197751621&sr=8-1

2 comments:

Process Junkie said...

Too funny for words!

Glenn said...

I just watched this picture with my 7-year-old son. He told me he thought it was "the best movie ever made." Yesterday we watched "The Third Man," and I told him it was one of my favorite movies. (The connection here was Joseph Cotten.)
Sheesh. I really hope his taste improves.